The gap between college and the real world has shrunk, too.
Going to bed too late m eans not being able to concentrate the next day.
(1914–1989), at the end of a century of war and revolution which changed civilizations, overthrew repressive governm ents, and left us with extraordinary opportunities and privilege, m ore than any generation before.
Com plete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets and the suffix -ant or -ancy.
1. What happens if you don't understand som ething properly?
3. In the end he realized what was happening, but it was too late to ask for help. Suggested answer:
3. It wasn't Lucy's party, but she stood at the door welcom ing everyone.
4. "I m ostly just read lips because it was easier to pick up than signing, although that's not the only reason I was staring at your lips," I told him. He laughed. We talked more, and then the host upped the m usic volum e and dimmed the lights for the "dance floor", and I had to lean in m uch, m uch closer to be able to continue reading his lips in the semi-darkness. And read his lips I did.
(could only; as far as)
6. There is no escaping the fact that when I go shopping, . Suggested answer
(m atter; readily availabe to; if so)
1. House prices began to fall a few m onths ago. (go)
could chew through wires.
6. Frank's reactions were so slow that he wasn't able to avoid hitting the car in front. Suggested answer:
4. So m aybe the newspaper won't die without a struggle. Trends for the future of newspaper include an increased dem and for local news, and the continued exploitation of lifestyle journalism, which began in the late 1980s, especially within personal finance and travel, will create new revenue stream s.
difficulty; turn to)
Replace the underlined words with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
2. You'll both have to get a job one day. (the tim e will com e)
4. Incom es are very low here. I wonder how low they were a hundred years ago. Suggested answer:
3. Our m any Jewish friends and acquaintances are being taken away in droves. The Gestapo is treating them very roughly and transporting them in cattle cars to Westerbork, the big cam p in Drenthe to which they're sending all the Jews ... If it's that bad in Holland, what m ust it be like in those faraway and uncivilized places where the Germ ans are sending them?
(assum e; confine to) Suggested answer:
4. (e) m eans it is possible that som eone m ight win som ething?
(b) What do you do when you stretch your legs?
(c) What do you do if you pull your punches?
4. Periodically a player gets an elbow in the face and goes down writhing. The clock stops while little men with black bags rush over and m assage his phonybaloney injury, after which he jum ps up good as new. The player who elbowed him gets som ething called a "yellow card", a mild reprimand.
people keep flocking to see football games. For m e, it remains a m ystery what is so attracting about football.
1. Soren said if a burglar cam e, Hogahn would probably lick him.
school a group of fish
3. It can recognize different people and m ake choices about what to eat or which path to take. But does this m ean that an anim al is capable of thinking and, if so, can it be proved? Our perceptions of anim als are filtered through our own hum an understanding of the world and we often project hum an feelings and thoughts onto other creatures. Suggested answer:
(go so far as to)
4. Leisure inactivities have developed m ore. They have less interaction.
2. There are people who keep work separate from their pleasure, and people whose work is their pleasure. People whose work is their pleasure are m ore comm on. Suggested answer:
Indeed, it's quite likely that those whose work is their pleasure are those who m ost need the m eans of banishing it at intervals from the m inds.
1. As for the unfortunate people who can com m and everything they want, who can gratif y every caprice and lay their hands on alm ost every object of desire—for them a new pleasure, a new excitem ent is only an additional satiation. In vain they rush frantically round from place to place, try ing to escape from avenging boredom by m ere clatter and m otion.
Translate the sentences into English.
brackets in the correct place.